Tuesday, October 26, 2010

"Twenty Things" #2

"I need to be taught that I have special needs arising from adoption loss, of which I need not be ashamed."

Adoptees need to know that although they might be different from the other children, they are not less worthy. Even if your child is biological, it is important to teach them that everyone has differences, and that no one person is better than the other because of them. No two people are exactly alike. My child's difference will be that he/she was adopted.

The book breaks some of the special needs down into emotional needs, educational needs, validation needs, etc. These are just a few of those needs:

  • I need help recognizing my adoption loss.
  • I need to be prepared for hurtful things others may say about my being adopted.
  • I need validation of my dual heritage
  • I need you to delight in my bioloical differences (don't pretend that I am just like you)
  • I need to be taught that my life is not a mistake.
  • I need to be taught that I have immutable value as a human being.

How can you meet the needs of your child? Educate yourself. Talk to them. LISTEN to them. Love them unconditionally. Read adoption books with them/to them. Be sensitive to them. And, cheer them on!

No comments: