Tuesday, December 7, 2010

"Twenty Things" #7

I know, I'm posting these back to back....my apologies...


"I want you to take the initiative in opening conversations about my birth family."



This chapter echoes the previous one. We as parents must make the effort to keep an open dialect. The adoptee is a victim. She didn't choose this. It isn't her fault. She didn't deserve such a loss. There are 3 aspects to the victim mind-set:

  1. Innocence- it wasn't her fault
  2. Defenselessness- she was powerless to stop it
  3. Helplessness- she cannot change the past

We need to be confident in our parental role, and avoid trying to be parents of the year. Life is messy. It is nowhere near perfect. And that's ok! As I said earlier, I always want my child to feel free to discuss his/her past, because without the past, there would be no future! (obviously...)

No comments: