Friday, March 27, 2009

Love is Kind

Love Dare day 2: Love is Kind.

We always tend to think of love as a feeling. But, I am learning very quickly that love is so much more than a feeling. It is not a noun. It is a verb; an action. Patience is a reaction to a negative situation, and kindness is an action, or the creation of a positive situation. While I do have the feelings of love for my husband, I fall short of the "showing love" department. It is so much easier to pass the things I hate the most off to him, like laundry, cleaning the litter box, dishes...and I very rarely do things to surprise him. Yet, I expect those things from him. Lately, I have found myself missing the days when we were dating. I found some old emails from one another, and our feelings were so strong for one another. We said all the right things, and did all kinds of random things for one another. But, after 3 years together, we have gotten comfortable, and those things have kind of dissipated.

So, for today's dare, I'm going to do the one thing I hate most: laundry. From start to finish. All by myself. When I do laundry, we usually end up dressing out of the basket or dryer all week. So, I'm gonna work on that.

The point of loving someone actively is not for a pat on the back, or something in return, but to love them with no expectations in return. That is the hardest part. I find myself telling Brandon, "I cooked, so you clean up," or things like that. I tend to think that because I did one thing, I should expect him to do another. While I do believe household jobs should be shared (and Brandon is good about that), I need to learn to take the initiative and do it regardless. Because I love him :-)

No comments: