Thursday, March 26, 2009

"Love is Patient"

I started "The Love Dare" today. I know, I'm behind.

Day 1 is all about patience. How ironic, huh? The thing that probably 99% of us struggle with the most is the very first thing addressed. I know that this is definitely an area that I need to work on. I was a very patient person all my life....until I got married. Funny how things change after you get married. The things I am most impatient about are:

-I HATE waiting for people. I know when I need to get up, and what time I need to leave, and it angers me to no end when Brandon is running late, or if he stops getting ready to play a game or watch tv, resulting in us leaving late...and me waiting on him. To me, it is very simple. Get up. Get ready. Leave. And I have very little patience for that. I need to realize that Brandon is not as "punctual" as I am (I tend to be super early to everything), and that it's ok! There's no need to me to get in a bad mood over that. I will work on that.

-I get impatient about Brandon leaving trash all over the house. I come home to chip bags, coke cans, and food wrappers on the coffee table and counters, and it drives me NUTS. And, he almost never puts his cheese wrapper in the trash! He is not a dirty person by any means...it just takes him a while to clean his messes up.

-I get aggravated because Brandon seems to never want to do anything fun. He led a very boring childhood, and his idea of fun is playing the Xbox...all day every day. I hate it.

So, I know three things right off the top of my head that I need to watch out for. I am sure after I harp at him every ten minutes about leaving on time it makes him feel like a child. And I am sure when I sit there and beg him to stop playing his games, it doesn't exactly make him want to go do what I want to do.

Isn't it funny how, even as adults, when we don't get what we want, we throw a fit???

"Patience helps you give your spouse permission to be human. It understands that everyone fails. When a mistake is made, it chooses to give them more time than they deserve to correct it."

No comments: