Thursday, September 25, 2008

Here it is...

I don't get into many political debates, mainly because they always become heated and someone always becomes offended (and I'll be the first to admit that I get there quickly). I have no problem telling you who I plan to vote for, but I don't plan to wear his and her t-shirt all over Nashville because there is only one reason people do that...to offend and make others angry. Not to support. Here is a short version of a story so that you will know why I am writing this blog... in my last church (which I still kinda go to sometimes), a group of people decided they didn't like some things the pastor was doing or the way he was handling things, so they wanted him out of there. They sued the church, caused the entire church a lot (and I mean a LOT) of pain and suffering, and ultimately the church is slowly splitting because of it, which is why I have begun attending another church (our pastor retired because of these people). In all of this, I learned how important it is to support your leaders, whether you agree with them or disagree, like them or dislike them.... for the good of the people. As I prayed and studied I found several Bible passages that state the same thing...that God wants us to support and obey our leaders, even if they make bad choices (just for the record, I don't believe our Pastor did what they say he did), simply because 1) they are our leaders, 2) God chose to place them in that position, and 3) GOD SAID SO.

I won't say what my stance is on Bush...I'll let you guess (I will say that I am neither Repub nor Democrat...I vote for who I like and who has the best morals according to God's word). But I get so tired of everyone talking so negatively about him. Yes, he has made some poor choices. Yes, I am tired of the war. But what is he supposed to do? Pull them out so that China can come over here and wipe us out? How about I come to your house and dig up every mistake YOU have ever made and then hold it against you and tell you that you are terrible at your job because you made some mistakes. If my boss fired me because I made mistakes....WOW! Where would I be? Where would any of us be if God expected perfection out of us? I find it ironic how we expect our leaders to be flawless when we ourselves are far less than they.

Here are they scriptures I have found.

Exodus 22:28
"Don't curse God; and don't damn your leaders"
Prov. 16:12
"Good leaders abhor wrondoings of all kinds. Sound leadership has a moral foundation."
Prov. 24:21
Fear God, dear child- respect your leaders. Don't be defiant or mutinous. Without warning your life can turn upside down, and who knows how or when it might happen?"

Jeremiah 7:8:
"'Get smart! Your leaders are handing you a pack of lies, and you're swallowing them! Use your heads! Do you think you can rob and murder, have sex with the neighborhood wives, tell lies nonstop, worship the local gods, and buy every novel religious commodity on the market—and then march into this Temple, set apart for my worship, and say, "We're safe!" thinking that the place itself gives you a license to go on with all this outrageous sacrilege? A cave full of criminals! Do you think you can turn this Temple, set apart for my worship, into something like that? Well, think again. I've got eyes in my head. I can see what's going on.'" God's Decree!

Ecc. 10:20
Don't bad-mouth your leaders, not even under your breath, And don't abuse your betters, even in the privacy of your home. Loose talk has a way of getting picked up and spread around. Little birds drop the crumbs of your gossip far and wide.


I am praying for Nov. 4, but I am also praying for myself, that I will have enough faith that no matter who God chooses to place in the White House, I will be able to respect and honor him, although it may be hard. This is a very scary time for our families and our country, and I know that God knows best and has everything under control.

No comments: