Monday, January 19, 2009

English Only

Most of you have heard on the news about the special ballot taking place, initiated by Eric Crafton, to make English the official language of Nashville. If this passes, businesses will not be allowed to post signs in any other language, and we will not pay for translation services for non-English speaking residents. What are your thoughts??

Personally, I hope it passes. Not because I have ANYTHING against people from other lands, and definitely not because I don't respect one's background. But, this is America. We speak English. My opinion is, if you want to become a citizen, it should be required to take English classes and pass extensive testing. If I go to Mexico or Spain or even France, whether it be on vacation or to live, I would be expected to learn that language. And I would have sense enough to do so. I know how frustrating it is to work in retail and other public places, and have to converse with people who don't know one word of English. And then they want to make YOU feel like the bad guy. I have a big heart (regardless of what some may think), and I would go to the ends of the earth to help anyone! But this would make it much easier. If you learn the language, you will have a much easier time, and so will everyone else!

I grew up in the most diverse home anyone could imagine. I grew up in a home with 12 "foster" kids, we'll call em, at a time...and they were from all different walks of life. All different countries. And I found their stories and backgrounds fascinating! However, if you want to live here, it would be common sense to learn the language, don't you think? At least try.

No comments: