Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Leviticus 1-4

I'm starting this a little late, but I am attempting to read the Bible in one year. I am following the plan in my Bible. Today's reading was Lev. 1-4.

Sometimes reading the Bible, especially the Old Testament, can be boring. It is easy to read the words, but not pay attention or understand the meaning. Particularly in the OT, it sometimes seems as if it has nothing to do with our world today, because it took place before Christ. For example, today I read about animal sacrifices. This doesn't have an obvious application to my life today. But, as I thought about it, here is what I realized.

I am so thankful that animal sacrifices are not required any longer, because Jesus Christ took the place of ALL sacrifices!

God does speak to us, just as he spoke to Moses. That doesn't change. Just because we might not run into a burning bush talking doesn't mean He doesn't speak!

God deserves our very best! At that time, their best was their flocks and herds!
That is how they lived, so sacrificing a perfect, flawless animal was like us sacrificing our great jobs, homes, and all of our income!

Dear Lord,
Thank you for sending your SON to die for my sins, even though I am undeserving. Thank you for giving YOUR son as a sacrifice so that we wouldn't have to worry about the sacrifice! Thank you, God, for speaking to us. Sometimes we fail to hear you, and I am sorry. please speak to me today, and open my ears, heart, and mind, to hear what you are saying. Give me the strength and courage to obey! God, I know that I rarely give you my best. I barely give you anything at all! Forgive me! Help me to learn your expectations of me, and help me to meet them as best I can. Help me to remember that nothing I have is mine, but it all belongs to YOU!

In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments: