Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Lunch on the go

I am constantly looking for new, convenient, yummy lunches to take to work. I get sooo sick of sandwiches, chips, and soup. And I am most certainly not the type to eat "fancy" things like hummus, or anything that looks like it was removed from the human body.

I really enjoy Lunchables. My favories are any of the meat and crackers, and the Pizza ones... I love those! However, these can get expensive, and they are terribly fattening and loaded with sodium! So, I decided to try making my own "lunchables." Today, I made myself a pizza, and I must say...it was delicious! And very satisfying, too!

Here's what I used:
1 Whole Wheat pita
3 tsp pizza sauce
about 1/4 c. low fat shredded mozzarella cheese

The directions should be self-explanitory: top pita with sauce, then cheese. You could even put pepperoni on it if you want! It was very good. You can also microwave it for 30-45 secs till the cheese melts if you don't like the Lunchable thing. This one clocks in at 243 calories.

Tomorrow I am having multigrain crackers, thick sliced turkey and ham, and cheddar slices.

Pair these with 1/2 cup canned mandarin oranges, or whatever canned fruit you like, and BAM! You have lunch!

Happy eating!

1 comment:

Kate said...

I'm not sure if you consider this to be a "fancy" thing or not but have you tried making chicken salad? I just had chicken salad for the first time in June. Up until then I thought that I didn't like it. I have a recipe for it in my blog but its kind of a thing where you just add the quantities that you prefer. I've made it with pineapple and grapes (at seperate times, not together!) and I really like it for a quick lunch.

Also, have you tried making hummus? Thats another thing that I thought I didn't like but have discovered that I really do. Its cheap and easy to make!