Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My First...

I had a "first" today. On my lunch break, I drove to the Kroger in Bordeaux (the not-so-good part of town) to get gas since I get .10 off per gallon. I was going to get my gas, and then eat at the Chinese place right next door. As I got out of my car, I shut my door and immediately realized I locked my keys in my car!!! In 8 years of driving, I have NEVER done that! I am always so careful to take my keys with me anytime I exit the car! Well, I was somewhat panicked because my purse, wallet, and cell phone were ALL in my passenger side seat...laid wide open! It was an open invite for a theif, especially in this area of town! I asked the lady at the little box if she had a phone, and she said I'd have to use the Customer Service phone at the store. With no other options, I asked her to keep an eye on my car, knowing she wouldn't, but thought I would ask anyway. I trecked across the parking lot, in the cold, with no coat on and my debit card in my hand, thinking someone was going to mug me at any minute. As I'm using the CS Desk phone to call and wake my husband from his slumber, the guy starts shooing me away, telling me I was tying up the phone lines. Well, my husband's key to my car was broken, so I called my daddy to see if he had a key. Negative. I called Brandon back to ask him to call AAA, as the mean man is continuing to get more and more hateful with me. At this point I'm MAD and in tears. I told Brandon (right in front of the man), "Well, this guy doesn't care if I stand out in the cold with no way to get into my car, so I have to stop tying up his precious phone line. Get out here please." And I hung up. As I started to walk away, the gentleman looked at me with a terrible look and said, "ma'am, I didn't mean to upset you, but I needed my phone line." I replied, "Well, you aren't being very nice. I have locked my keys in my car, and my phone, purse, and wallet are all sitting in my front seat. I'm very upset, and you are being very rude." He said he would help me get into my car. As he is walking back across the parking lot with me, he says, "I break into cars all the time....I mean, people are always locking their keys in their car, and I've always been able to get them out..." I thought, "yeah...I bet you can." So, we get to my car and he starts fiddling with it. He needed a hanger, so he went BACK to the store to hunt for one. As I'm standing there, in the cold, alone, a man was pumping his gas right next to me. He said(as I'm looking in the window, trying to fiddle with the door), "Ya lock your keys in your car?" I thought, "here's your sign...." This man was pretty nice, as he began to give me tips on how to break into my car....WOW. I'm really scared now. He comes over and starts looking in my window, probably scanning the "merchandise," which only consisted of a Sno-Caps box, a Mt. Dew bottle, and an empty coke can. I'm really scared at this point. He told me about the "hold the key thing up to your cell phone trick," which I have recently learned from Katie's blog, does not work.

Here comes the rude man walking back across the parking lot, hanger in hand. He goes to A car (not sure if it was his or not...I wonder), and gets a set of wire pliers. At this point, the lady pumping gas behind me says, "I have a jimmie if you need it." Ugh...I have three people around me that are very prepared to break into a car! The jimmie didn't work, so he wedged the pliers between the door and the car, stuck the coat hanger down there, and pulled the lock up!! HOORAY!!!! I thanked him and apologized if I was hateful, that I was just afraid someone would break my window and steal my purse, and he apologized again as well. And after all of this, I was too flustered and embarrassed to get gas, so I'm still on empty!

I guess if you're going to lock your keys in your car, there's no better place than Bordeaux!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I'll bet you'll never go that Kroger again. I wouldn't...